Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Catholics In Action at Homeland Mission

Through the first two days of our retreat, we’ve learned that Jesus takes on appearances that we don’t expect. At times we will be called to do things that we do not want to do, but we learned to do them anyway because it is the right thing to do.

At
A Caring Place
there was a man that called me and a few others his new friends. This made us feel as though we did what we were called to do and that we did make a difference in his life. He made a difference in mine.
-Abbie Sommer


Hi mom and dad!! Today we went to
A Caring Place
and helped older people. Yesterday we helped out at Sister’s of Charity, which helps younger children to stay out of trouble and learn about God. Tomorrow we are going to a
Miracle Place
. On Thursday, we are going to Refugee Relocation. On Friday, we are going to Gleaners. I can’t wait to experience all the other different things ahead of me. I am having so much fun and I actually took the initiative to talk to some people I don’t know. I also made new friends!! :) I love you guys and can’t wait to see you! Tell Vito I said that I love him and miss him too!!! <3 <3 Love You!!!
-Rebekah Rivelli

Embarking on mission trips has become the new hobby of teens and adults in different parishes around the country. Thousands set out every year to various places around the world in order the help those in need. All of us here at Homeland Mission had this intention of help, we just didn’t think that it would be in our hometown of Indianapolis. Every day, we help in whatever way we can at various charities and organizations. On Monday, we visited the Sisters of Charity, an order started by Mother Teresa, and helped children who needed a place to stay for the day. On Tuesday, we visited
A Caring Place
, where we chilled with older folk who just needed a friend to talk to. With two days under our belts, we now know the power of helpfulness and plan to use it throughout the next 3 days. This mission trip was a great experience for me and I encourage others to participate in it as well.
– Collin Kloc   


Day two of the Homeland Mission Trip brought Van 5, the C.I.A. (Catholics In Action) to the doorstep of
A Caring Place
, an adult daycare in Indianapolis.  Caring Place provides a place where elderly people can go during the day to be with others.  This was a trip to the other end of the age spectrum for us, as we had been to the Missionaries of Charity day camp for children on Monday.  Though many residents of
A Caring Place
were not as physically active as they used to be, several still possessed a zest for life and a warmth that filled the room.  Most of my time was occupied playing Scrabble with a gentleman there..  Despite an occasional forgetting of the rules, he was a challenging opponent (in the first game, he played “etats”, the French word for “states”!)  Our new friend displayed not only a greatly varied vocabulary, but also a wealth of wisdom.  His past memories of reading “Les Miserables” in school and researching his family on Ancestry.com revealed an excellent memory for someone so advanced in age, and his Bible trivia skills were unrivalled (we took a break from Scrabbling to listen in on their Bible study).  Visiting
A Caring Place
was an excellent experience for me, and not just because we got to play Scrabble.  I had a great time meeting the elderly residents and spending time with our other van members.  To Mom and Dad and Sydney, I love you and I anxiously await coming home.  Please say a few prayers for me!

- Josh Orndorff (Van 5)


I saw God today in the smiles and laughter of the peoples at
A Caring Place
as well as the amazing kindness shown by my group the C.I.A.. I also found that bingo is often a rigged game. Carl didn’t win twice because of O 72 but he was enjoying himself and that is what really made me smile. Van 5 is without a doubt the best van and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
-Andrew Brinkman

1 comment:

  1. Hey Josh! Missing you so much! I can't wait until you come back! It sounds like you're doing great work! Best of wishes to you and your fellow van members! I'm praying for you every day!

    Your loving "little" sister,
    Sydney

    ReplyDelete